Kolkata Metro Android App provides various information to the commuters of Metro Railway, Kolkata. It has all kinds of essential features.
Currently, the application has been downloaded by more than 335,000 end users and has daily active users hovering between 60000 to 70000 users.
The following are the different sections in the app with their respective features. They are:
Stations: Provides comprehensive details of all the stations. There is information about various entry and exit points, the location of the working gates, and the area surrounding the station.
Timings: Displays the next ten scheduled train timings from the originating station to the final station. Additionally, it also shows the fare, travel duration, intermediate stations, and service timings between the two stations.
Notification: Real-time push notification for any relevant information.
Smart Card: Displays various information about Smart Cards and Online Smart Card Recharge option.
About Metro: Displays basic info about Metro Railway Kolkata. Helpline: Displays necessary helpline numbers needed in case of an emergency
- Absence of a mobile application to ease travel planning
- Absence of real-time updates for scheduled train timings
- Absence of relevant public information in a streamlined format
- The best solution was to design a Mobile Application with a major emphasis on UI/UX design. The end-users were a broad spectrum of technical to non-technical users.
- Integrate Google Maps coordinates to help end-users locate stations.
- Developed a notification dashboard to send real-time push notifications.
- Developed a back-end system to update changes in train timings without actually updating the app.
Security Measures implemented
- SSL(Secure Socket Layer) Certificate to encrypt application-server communication
- Multi-Layer access authentication system
- Encrypted API communications
- Mobile App: Java-based Android application
- Back-End: PHP CodeIgniter, MySQL, Firebase Cloud Messaging
- Server: Amazon Web Services | Linux Server